Yep, you read that right. Today is my birthday. I’m a year older, wiser and all that jazz. We made it y’all! I don’t really feel any different today than I did yesterday. Maybe it will get me tomorrow. Of course, since it’s a new year it’s time to reflect on the good and bad of last year. I don’t like to dwell on bad stuff so I’ll just stick with the good and what I learned. Knowing me and the way my mind works I’m sure I’ll find something bad to slip in. Every loss is a lesson though, right? No bad juju/vibes over this way. Let’s just hop right into it. Keep in mind that these are in no particular order. Well kinda. Just writing them as they come back to my memory.
1. I beat cancer. Fuck you, cancer! Yep, I beat that motherfucker’s ass! Sorry for the language but that’s kind of a big deal.
2. I got a promotion (sorta) at my job. I moved into a different and more challenging role that fits my character and demeanor better. The crazy thing is, I didn’t even have to apply for it. My former supervisor heard about the position, thought I would be a great fit for it and talked to my current manager about me before the position even posted internally. See, when you do good for people they will in turn do good things for you. I looked out for her when I didn’t have to and she looked out for me when she didn’t have to.
3. I started writing. Again. I got back into getting my feelings, thoughts and emotions out from within my brain on to a pen and pad. I actually physically write these blogs before I type them up for the innanetz. I write here and over on my main spot mysincerethought.com.
4. I started a podcast. I mean it’s on hiatus right now but I did start one dammit. It’s called “Sincere Chats” and I talk to people that I find inspiring and interesting. I do plan to pick it back up in 2018. I stopped because I couldn’t find my true direction. First it was all about interviews then I switched to tidbits of news segments to get you caught up on the week. Then I switched to recaps of TV shows and movies. I just couldn’t find my niche. I’m taking it back to my original idea and I’m gonna kill it. Just watch. I have some other things in the works as far as podcasting as well but I don’t want to count my chickens before they hatch. I think that’s how you say it.
5. I’m seeing a therapist. I’ve done this before in the past but I was never able to find someone that looks, acts and thinks like me. Very refreshing. Anytime you can get some help and talk to someone that truly understands and gets you is a plus. If you’re on the fence about seeking professional counseling or help, just do it! You’re welcome. I’m also working on some type of program where we can either work with therapists to help offset some of the costs or find a way to make it affordable in some other capacity. I know that is a major reason why people don’t seem help. Money is a major issue. Thankfully I have insurance and the extra income to support it because umm… Shit ain’t cheap. We gotta bring awareness and let other black people know that it’s okay to seek counseling. Depression and mental illness is not just a white or rich thing and we can’t just pray everything away. Faith without works is dead.
6. I got to see Jay-Z live. This was one of the highlights of the year and I almost forgot about to mention it! Jay is one of my favorite rappers/businessmen. I listen to at least one Jay-Z album everyday! I try and slip in some of his lyrics in every conversation I have just to see if people notice. If you follow my other account on Instagram, I do this thing called hip hop quote of the day. I basically take a line or two from song and rephrase it. I think 95-98% are Jay-Z quotes. To see him live was phenomenal and I loved every minute of the concert. I even wrote about it here. I don’t go out to many concerts much due to ya know, being an introvert and all but I had to go to this one! I’m so glad I did.
I’m really trying to think of what else happened this year. I’m legit boring so not much happens in my life. I go to work and come home pretty much. Well, now it’s work, home, gym and back home.
I feel like those were the big things that happened this year. If I think of more I may do a part 2 or something. Anyway, enjoy the rest of your day and make 2018 greater than 2017!